Recipe: Green Tea Cupcakes
photo credit: Hummingbird on High
We thought this was so cute and loved that they used Stash Tea so we just had to share!
Note: this recipe adapted by Hummingbird on High is for high-altitude baking at 5,000 ft. To bake at sea level, read the notes in the ingredients list and instructions carefully.Hummingbird Bakery Green Tea Cupcakes Recipe
For the Chocolate-Green Tea Cake Base:
(makes 10 - 12 cupcakes)
1/2 cup whole milk
3 green tea bags (We recommend Stash Tea Premium Green.)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (for sea-level, reduce to 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
a scant 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder (for sea-level, increase to 1 1/2 teaspoons)
a pinch of salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 egg, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Green Tea Buttercream Frosting:
(enough for 12 cupcakes)
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder (We recommend Stash Tea Matcha.)
2 tablespoons whole milk
To Make the Cupcakes:
Put 1/2 cup milk and 3 green tea bags in a liquid measuring cup, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours, or overnight if possible.
Preheat the oven to 350 (F); for sea-level, preheat the oven to 325 (F).
Put the 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour*, 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder*, pinch of salt, and 3 tablespoons butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
Remove the green tea bags from the infused milk and strain into the measuring cup.
Combine the milk with 1 egg and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; whisk the mixture together.
Slowly pour half the milk/egg/vanilla mixture, beating well until all the ingredients are well mixed. Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat to make sure there are no lumps.
Turn the mixture down to medium-slow and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture, scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the batter is smooth.
Spoon the batter into paper cases lined in a muffin tin until each case is two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the cake bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the center of a cupcake should come out clean.
Let the cupcakes cool slightly in the pan before turning out into a wire rack to cool completely. When the cupcakes are cold, spoon Green Tea Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows) on top and decorate accordingly.
To Make the Frosting:
Beat together 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 5 tablespoons butter, and 2 1/2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
Turn the mixer down to a slower speed, and slowly pour in 2 tablespoons whole milk.
When the milk is completely incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
Visit Hummingbird on High for Tips & Addendums for this recipe.
57 Notes/ Hide
- yellowcardigans likes this
- kksunny likes this
- pandorkful reblogged this from vintagecola
- vintagecola reblogged this from stashteacompany
- vintagecola likes this
- sweetmadameblue likes this
- ujeon reblogged this from addgreentea
- fufufujanai likes this
- radioactivegumdrops likes this
- andofrandomness likes this
- chewai likes this
- miromantic reblogged this from addgreentea
- miromantic likes this
- ujeon likes this
- unichorn likes this
- neoproxeh likes this
- nigetai likes this
- onigirizen likes this
- needsm0retime likes this
- adropletofsun reblogged this from stashteacompany
- nearlynarcoleptic reblogged this from addgreentea
- healthylivingforyou likes this
- addgreentea reblogged this from stashteacompany
- avid-tea-addict likes this
- dorkanglee likes this
- hagacaca likes this
- mirandena likes this
- imperfectporcelain likes this
- this-bloggu likes this
- phnarg likes this
- zeedikay reblogged this from maazisdone
- maazisdone reblogged this from aeloreus
- maazisdone likes this
- aeloreus reblogged this from teacupper
- ithinkimallergictoghosts reblogged this from sekoshi and added:
- doglordshygriff reblogged this from ohstephyy
- doglordshygriff likes this
- wrathofbom likes this
- circachartreuse likes this
- ohstephyy reblogged this from teacupper
- gradivuslance likes this
- driedrosepetals likes this
- lachelleybee likes this
- resonatingnotes likes this
- robogloom likes this
- sekoshi reblogged this from teacupper
- teacupper reblogged this from stashteacompany
- iheartnovelteas reblogged this from stashteacompany
- theyearofhealth2013 reblogged this from stashteacompany
- astripoffilm reblogged this from stashteacompany