Pear and Chai Upside Down Cake
Recipe adapted from Sips and Spoonfuls.
Pairs perfectly with a hot cup of black tea.Serves 10 people. Contains caffeine.
- 1½ - 2 pears
- 1/4 cup demerara sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 Guayusa with Chai tea bags (or sub with your favorite chai)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a round cake pan.
- Peel and core the pears. Cut into 1/4 inch slices and place in the bottom of the pan.
- Place the water and demerara sugar in a small sauce pan and cook on the stove until it begins to slightly caramelize (a nice golden brown). Do not over-caramelize or the mixture will become hard.
- Pour sugar mixture over pears.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well between each egg.
- Reduce the speed to low, cut open 4 tea bags and pour the contents into the mixture.
- Slowly add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the batter over the pears.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or stick a toothpick into the cake. When the skewer comes out almost clean, the cake is ready.
- Let sit 10 minutes. Place cake plate over pan and flip upside down to remove cake.